Independent Living at Bruyere Gardens
Affordable Senior Housing Community Located on the Campus of D’Youville Life & Wellness Community
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Bruyere Gardens?
Bruyere Gardens is a (63) unit federally funded affordable senior housing community for independent seniors 62 years of age and older located on the campus of the D’Youville Life & Wellness Community, 975 & 979 Varnum Avenue, Lowell, MA.
Why the Name Bruyere Gardens?
D’Youville Life & Wellness Community was established by the Sisters of Charity of Ottawa in 1960 to meet the needs of an increasing frail and elderly population in Lowell. Elisabeth Bruyere, for which Bruyere Gardens is named, established the Sisters of Charity of Ottawa, popularly known as The Grey Nuns of the Cross, in 1845. For over 125 years, the Sisters have served the Greater Lowell community by providing a high standard of excellence in nursing care and education. Bruyere Gardens is an extension of their mission to meet the growing needs of the seniors in Greater Lowell.
What are the Income Qualifications?
As mandated by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development HUD-202 PRAC program for the Lowell area, gross household income limits cannot be greater than:
- $37,700 for one person
- $43,050 for two people
What do the Units Feature?
- Approximately 540 square feet of living space.
- Living room/dining room combination.
- Kitchen with stove, refrigerator and microwave.
- One bedroom.
- Full bathroom with walk-in shower and grab bars.
- Ample closet space.
- Emergency call system in the bedroom and bathroom.
- Secured entrance.
- Cable and telephone jack ready.
- (4) of the (63) units are handicap accessible.
How Much Will I Pay For Rent?
30% of the family’s monthly adjusted income.
Are Utilities Included In My Rent?
Yes, except for your cable, internet and telephone bills.
Can I Regulate My Own Heat?
You can regulate your own heat in the winter and central air in the summer.
How Many People Can Live In a Unit?
A maximum of (2) people.
What Facilities Does Bruyere Gardens Have?
- Ample community/common areas with party kitchens for special events.
- (2) Community rooms, with a 42” plasma TV/DVD/VCR.
- Outdoor courtyard areas.
- Coin operated laundry facilities.
- Arts and crafts room.
- Library areas one with full computer set-up.
- D’Youville Life & Wellness Community Employee Cafeteria that is open Monday-Friday and tenants are welcome to go over and buy a hot breakfast or lunch.
- On-site Chapel located at D’Youville Life & Wellness Community.
- Beautiful Park with walking areas.
- Ample parking.
- Smoke free facility.
What Types of Services Are Offered?
- Staff Tenant Service Coordinator.
- Emergency Call System.
- Trash removal and trash chute system.
- On-site nurse two afternoons per week.
- Monthly wellness clinic.
- Grocery shopping transportation.
- Bruyere Gardens is located on the Lowell Public Transit System.
Are Pets Allowed?
One (1) common household pet is allowed such as a dog or cat with a weight limit of 30lbs. Mandatory HUD rules will apply.
How Do I Apply?
Applications are available at the following locations:
Bruyere Gardens, 975 & 979 Varnum Avenue, Lowell, MA.
Who Do I Return the Application To?
975 Varnum Avenue
Lowell, MA 01854
ATTN: Director of Independent Living
Who Can I Call with Questions?
Paula Eldridge-Yeiter, Director of Independent Living
It is the policy of Bruyere Gardens, managed by D’Youville Senior Care, Inc., to promote equal opportunity in housing. Bruyere Gardens does not discriminate against applicants or tenants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, familial status, handicap, socioeconomic class, ancestry, military status, source of income or any other local, state or federal protected class.
Bruyere Gardens does not discriminate on the basis of disability status in the admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its federally assisted programs and activities.