Independent Living at Bruyere Gardens
Affordable Independent Housing for Seniors
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Bruyere Gardens?
Bruyere Gardens, located on the campus of D’Youville Life & Wellness Community at 975 Varnum Avenue in Lowell, MA, is a 63-unit, federally funded HUD affordable housing community designed for seniors 62 years of age and older.
Why the Name Bruyere Gardens?
Élisabeth Bruyère, for whom Bruyere Gardens is named, established the Sisters of Charity of Ottawa (popularly known as The Grey Nuns of the Cross) in 1845. D’Youville Life & Wellness Community was established by the Sisters of Charity of Ottawa in 1960 to meet the needs of an increasing frail and elderly population in Lowell.
What are the Income Qualifications?
The current mandated HUD annual gross income limits for the Lowell area cannot exceed:
- $33,600 for one person
- $38,400 for two people
What do the Units Feature? Click here for details.
How Much Will I Pay For Rent?
30% of your monthly adjusted income.
Are Utilities Included In My Rent?
Yes, except for your cable, internet and telephone bills.
Can I Regulate My Own Heat?
You can regulate your own heat in the winter and central air in the summer.
How Many People Can Live In a Unit?
A maximum of (2) people.
What Amenities does Bruyere Gardens Offer?
- Secured entrance
- Ample community/common areas with party kitchens for special events
- Community living rooms; one with a 42″ plasma TV with DVD and VCR
- Outdoor courtyard areas
- Coin-operated common laundry facilities
- Arts and crafts room
- Library areas; one with a full computer setup
- Tenants may visit the D’Youville Senior Care Employee Cafeteria to purchase a hot breakfast or lunch
- On-site chapel located at D’Youville Senior Care
- Ample parking
- Smoke-free facility
What Types of Services Are Offered?
- Emergency Call System in the bedroom and bathroom
- On-site nurse two mornings per week
- Trash removal and trash chute system
- Monthly wellness clinic
- Grocery shopping transportation
- Convenient access to the Lowell Public Transit System
- Access to D’Youville Senior Care’s Adult Day Health Program for qualifying tenants
Are Pets Allowed?
One (1) common household pet is allowed such as a dog or cat with a weight limit of 30lbs. Mandatory HUD rules apply.
Bruyere Gardens does not discriminate on the basis of disability status in the admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its federally assisted programs and activities.